Before you start building a computer, you need to pick up the hardware components. So, make a checklist of the configurations you want in your computer. Discussed below are the important hardware components like RAM, processor, graphics card, hard drive, CD ROM, which you need to pick while building a computer yourself.
- The two main things you need to decide in the mission to build a computer are processor and RAM. Decide if you want a 32 bit or 64 bit processor. Intel and AMD are the best manufactures when it comes to processors. RAM decides the speed of your computer, so go for minimum 1 GB of RAM, or higher if you are into gaming. For gaming 4 GB or more is recommended.
- Hard drive is another important component, which is your computers storage. 160 GB is decent size, but you can even get 1 Tera Byte if you like to make a collection of movies.
- A good graphics card will provide great picture quality. NVDIA is a well known brand, so go for minimum 512 MB graphics card, or higher for gaming.
- Then picking up CD ROM is important, Sony and Creative are recommended brands. Now, there are Blu-Ray CD which are replacing ordinary CDs, so consider a Blu-Ray burner.
- Make sure you pick the PC case (cabinet) which has lots of ports. As lots of ports in a desktop computer is must, because you will be connecting many external parts to it. You can pick flashy cool looking PC cases, or go for a simple white/black colored case.
- Then comes selecting a monitor. You can go with latest slim LCD computer monitor models, or old big CRT monitors. You can pick an 18 inch or a big 21 inch monitor, which will make watching movies or playing games very entertaining.
- Other components like mouse and keyboard should be selected. You can also consider accessories like speakers, webcams, scanners, mikes, UPS, etc.
If you are not sure how to build a computer step by step, then you can ask the supplier to put all the important components on the motherboard. So, that you get a ready PC case, and don't have to spend time on installing minute hardware components on the motherboard. However, if you want to install the components on the motherboard yourself, then use the instructions manual, that is provided with the motherboard. Then locate the slots for individual components, and install them. For certain devices like optical drives and hard drive you will need to attach two sets of cable, one will be connected to SMPS which will provide power supply, and other will be connecting the motherboard. This is an intricate process, so make sure you do it carefully. Once you are done with this, mount the motherboard and all the components in CPU. After this install the CD-ROM, and then close the cabinet.
Once you are done assembling a computer components on motherboard, connect the CPU to the USB slot of mouse and keyboard. Place the pin for monitor in the right slot. Now you have connected all the parts, and it is time to supply power to the CPU and monitor. Now, connect the CPU power cable and monitor's power cable to the switch board. If you are using an UPS device, then you will need to connect CPU and monitor power cable to UPS, and UPS power cable to switch board. There you have done assembling the computer.
This were the tips on how to build a computer, and how to select the individual parts. Once you are done assembling the hardware, you will need to install an operating system in your computer. After you are done installing a Windows operating software, go to My Computer icon on the desktop, and right click to check the properties, you will get to see the configurations which you have in your computer.